Making CBD oil at home is possible and this might surprise you – it’s actually very easy! Check out our DIY CBD oil and start making CBD oil at the comfort of your home.
Have you ever wondered how to make CBD oil at home? Do you have a hard time creating one?
CBD oils offer a number of health benefits including pain relief, better sleep, reduced inflammation, and fewer epilepsy bouts. It also helps with depression & anxiety, and even cancer. It’s understandable why many want to use CBD oil but most brands are expensive, which makes DIY CBD oil a good option.
Different Ways to Make CBD Oil
There are a number of methods to create a CBD oil. Choose the process based on your preference and tools available. Follow the instructions religiously to maximize the benefits of CBD in the oil you will make.
Before I show you the different methods in making a CBD oil, please make sure to choose a good starting material because that will affect the quality of your finished product… Also, it is recommended that you use organic material to ensure that there is nothing in it that can harm you.
Are you ready to get started? Check out the different ways to make CBD oil below.
How to make CBD oil through oil method:
Here’s a simple guideline
- Use a weed grinder, choose buds by bud trimmer, leaves and stems of a high-quality cannabis plant. The quality of the cannabis will affect the quality of the oil that you will produce. Please take note that parts of the cannabis have to go through a process known as decarboxylation to extract the CBD. You can do this by baking the buds and leaves at a temperature of 220 degrees Fahrenheit for about 90 to 100 minutes.
2. In a mason jar, mix the ground weed with the carrier oil of your choice including coconut oil. For those wondering how to make CBD oil with coconut oil or how to make CBD oil with olive oil, this guide works for you, you can use whatever carrier oil you want.
3. Saturate the weed with the oil. You can reduce the oil or add more depending on how potent you want the end product to be.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil. Place the lid of the mason jar and make sure to secure it in place.
5. On the bottom of the pan, place a towel. Place the jar on the top and fill it with water until it reaches the temperature of at least 200 degrees. Use a thermometer to measure the temperature.
6. Leave the pot for about three hours. Check the pot from time to time to see if the water has not evaporated.
7. Turn off the stove after three hours and let it sit for another three hours.
8. Heat it again for three hours. Turn off the heat and leave it overnight.
9. The next morning your CBD oil is ready.
10. Strain it using a cheesecloth, squeeze it and it’s ready to be used as you desire.
Alcohol method also known as ethanol method is another process that does not require special skills or advanced equipment to make a CBD oil. Alcohol is preferred as an extracting agent because it does not leave an unpleasant taste or odor.
Here’s how to do this.
- Put the weed in a ceramic or glass bowl.
2. Cover it with enough alcohol and stir for about 6 minutes. It is recommended that you use a wooden spoon to extract the resin. Please take note that the process should be very fast because we do not want the alcohol to touch the plant for so long as it will get you a lot of stuff inside which you don’t want. Do not use mechanical devices because you don’t want to create a spark as it will burn everything.
3. Place a straining bag or sieve to separate the ethanol from the plant material.
4. Squeeze as much extract as possible.
5. Do a second filtration to remove the plant material left. This time, you can use a simple coffee machine. It can heat your material and filtrate it. Just pour the liquid into the filter paper.
6. It’s time to cook. Pour the oil you have extracted in a double boiler. Heat it until bubbles start to form. For this feel free to use a rice cooker, pot or water distiller. The latter is the best choice.
7. Wait until the alcohol evaporates but do not raise the temperature.
8. Wait until it simmers in about 30 minutes and makes sure that the flame is low. Once the alcohol evaporates completely, mix it.
9. If you have a coffee machine use it to extract the remaining ethanol. Put the ethanol in a heating device and turn it on. Wait for at least 24 hours to ensure that there’s no ethanol left.
10. Test your oil. Dip a paperclip into the oil and light it using a lighter. Light it fast. If you see a spark, there is still ethanol left.
11. If there’s still ethanol, put it back into the heater and then, test again.
12. When your oil has successfully passed the test, transfer the concentrated oil in a storage bottle.
13. Make sure to keep the lid tight to avoid damaging its quality and effectiveness.
How to Make CBD oil for Vaping:
The fastest way to take CBD oil is through vaping. If you want to create one, then you just have to follow the steps below:
- Use a scale, measure 0.5g of crystals and crush them up into a fine powder. You can either use a pestle and mortar or just a blunt edge to powderize the crystals.
2. Mildly heat up the vape juice. You can rest it against a radiator for an hour or place it in a glass bottle and put it in a microwave for a few seconds.
3. Empty your crushed crystals into the warm vape juice, stir and steep until the crystals are fully dissolved.
4. To add flavor, you can bring terpenes into the mix. These are the smell and taste of individual strains of cannabis extracted in a liquid form. They are very concentrated and powerful, so you will only need a few drops to add strain profiles to your CBD vape juice.
Terpenes are present in all foods. The in-house recipe recommends adding 0.5ml of terpenes to every 10ml of vape oil. Steep it for 48 hours for equal distribution of flavor.
How to Make CBD Oil Without THC
THC is most concentrated in cannabis flower buds but it is found in lower concentrations throughout the rest of the plant.
This means that if you start with a high-THC flower, you will end up with a high-THC oil.
If you make a CBD oil at home without THC or less of it, you better start by choosing the right starting material as your finish product will depend on the cannabinoid content of your starting material.
While’s it’s possible to separate THC from the CBD, sadly there’s no way to do this at home or without specialized laboratory equipment.
If you really want to create a CBD oil with little to no THC content, your best option here is to get a high-CBD strain from your budtender at the dispensary and they will point you at the right direction.
If you don’t reside in a state where you can buy your flower from a trusted and licensed professional, you can use Farm Bill-compliant hemp flower because it is legal to purchase but it’s not available over the counter in most places.
CBD oils are expensive but the good thing is you can make a CBD oil at home and it’s easy to do. If you are interested in DIY CBD oil, just follow the instructions above. We provide different methods to create CBD oil, just feel free to choose and experiment what’s the best one for you.
Again, always choose a good starting material because this affects the quality of your CBD oil. If you want to produce a little to no THC oil, then get a high-CBD strain. However, your options may depend on the state where you are located. Those who live in states where marijuana is legal to have more options.
If you need to learn more about CBD oils, please check our homepage.